We recommend using Zoom’s Waiting Room feature to ensure your 1:1 office hours meetings remain private and confidential. Waiting rooms allow you to meet with one person or a group of people at a time, while others wait in the waiting room for their turn to meet.
Before you begin, verify that Waiting Rooms are enabled in your account. Go to stanford.zoom.us/profile/setting and make sure “Waiting room” under “In Meeting (Advanced)” is set to Allow.”
Set up a waiting room from within Canvas
Schedule the meeting from Canvas as you would for a live class session, but make sure to apply the following settings:
- Under Security, select the setting to enable waiting room
- Under Meeting Options, deselect the option to record the meeting automatically
Use the waiting room for office hours
- Start the meeting and click on Manage Participants
- Confirm the waiting room is enabled by going to More and seeing the check mark by “Put attendee in Waiting Room on Entry.” If it is not checked, select it.
- Once a student joins the meeting, you will be able to admit them to the meeting from the Manage Participants menu
- You can also send a student back to the waiting room by clicking More next to their name and selecting “Put in waiting room”